Boxford Neighbourhood Plan
The Boxford Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) has been prepared by the Parish Council and local community and will be used to help guide and shape future development in the parish.
Reg 20 Formal Adoption (31 October 2022)
In an ‘out of meeting’ decision taken on Monday 31 October 2022 Babergh District Council have agreed to adopt ('make') the Boxford NDP.
This NDP now forms part of the development plan and will be used to help determine planning applications in the parish unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted version of the Boxford NDP
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- See the Action out of Meeting request
Local Referendum (27 October 2022) - majority 'yes' vote
A local referendum was held on 27 October 2022 to decide if the Boxford NDP should become part of the Council's development plan. The count took place the following day.
The question asked was: "Do you want Babergh District Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Boxford to help it decide planning applications in the Neighbourhood Plan Area?".
Reg 18 Exam Report Decision Statement (24 June 2022)
New procedures (agreed in September 2021) mean that a NDP can now advance to a referendum with Cabinet approval where there is no objection to implementing the examiner's recommendations. That applied in this case and the decision was confirmed through publication of the following statement:
Reg 17 Independent Examination (Final report 13 June 2022)
Babergh District Council appointed Janet Cheesley BA (Hons) DipTP MRTPI to carry out an independent examination of the Boxford NDP. The examination was conducted through written correspondence.
On Monday 13 June 2022, the examiner issued her final report. It recommended that, subject to modification, this NDP meets the Basic Conditions and should proceed to a local referendum.
Planning Practice Guidance also provides advice on the weight to be attached to a post-examination plan.
Reg 16 Submission Consultation (7 March – 29 April 2022)
The district council carried out formal consultation on the submitted NDP, to see whether it fulfils the Basic Conditions set out in the Town & Country Planning Act 1990.
The consultation was carried out in accordance with Regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 (as amended). The consultation period ran from 7 March until 29 April 2022.
The parish council (the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents:
- A map identifying the NDP area
- The submission draft Boxford NDP 2021 - 2037
- A Consultation Statement
- A Basic Conditions Statement
- A strategic environment assessment (SEA) report (AECOM, January 2022)
- The SEA scoping report (AECOM, October 2021)
- Copies of the SEA and HRA screening reports and determination notices
- A housing needs assessment report (AECOM, September 2020)
- A site options assessment report (AECOM, August 2021)
- The Boxford NP design guidelines and codes (AECOM, March 2021)
An assessment as to whether this NDP meets the basic conditions will be carried out by an independent examiner. Initial checks showed that the relevant requirements had been met at this stage. Read the Regulation 15 Checklist
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the examiner and, with the exception of personal details, be published on this website.
SEA/HRA screening and determination (September 2021)
The pre-submission draft NDP was screened to decide whether a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and/or a Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA) were required. Both were 'screened-in'. Copies of the relevant reports and determination notices are published below:
- Read the Boxford NDP SEA Screening Report (LUCs, July 2021)
- Read the Boxford NDP SEA Determination Notice (Sept 2021)
- Read the Boxford NDP HRA Screening Report incl. Appropriate Assessment (Place Services, Aug 2021)
- Read the Boxford NDP HRA Determination Notice (Sept 2021)
Reg 14 Pre-submission Consultation (8 July to 13 September 2021)
Pre-submission consultation on the draft Boxford NDP ended on 13 September 2021.
Visit the parish council's website for more information.