Wherstead Neighbourhood Plan
The Wherstead Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) has been prepared by Wherstead Parish Council and the local community and will be used to help guide and shape future development in the parish.
Reg 20 Formal adoption (27 July 2023)
In an ‘out of meeting’ decision published on Thursday 27 July 2023 Babergh District Council have agreed to adopt ('make') the Wherstead NDP.
This NDP now forms part of the development plan and will be used to help determine planning applications in the parish unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted Wherstead NDP
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- See the Action out of Meeting request
Local Referendum (Wed 19 July 2023) - majority 'yes' vote
A local referendum was held on 19 July 2023 to decide if the Wherstead NDP should become part of Council's Development Plan. The count took place the following day.
The question asked was: "Do you want Babergh District Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Wherstead to help it decide planning applications in the Neighbourhood Plan Area?"
Reg 18 Exam Report Decision Statement (3 May 2023)
New procedures, agreed in September 2021, mean that a NDP can now be advance to a referendum without Cabinet approval where there is no objection to implementing the Examiner's recommendations. That applies in this case, and the decision is confirmed through publication of the following statement:
Reg 17 Independent Examination (Final Report dated 6 April 2023)
Babergh District Council appointed Ann Skippers BSc (Hons) MRTPI FHEA FRSA AoU to carry out an independent examination of the Wherstead NDP. This relied on the submitted documents and the written representations.
On 6 April 2023, the Examiner issued her final report. It recommends that, subject to modification, the Wherstead NDP meets the basic conditions and that it should proceed to a local referendum.
Planning Practice Guidance also provides advice on the weight to be attached to a post-examination plan.
Reg 16 Submission consultation (16 Nov 2022 to 20 Jan 2023)
In accordance with Regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 (as amended), the submission draft Wherstead NDP was made available for public consultation between 16 November 2022 and 20 January 2023.
Wherstead Parish Council (the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents:
- A Map identifying the NDP Area
- The submission draft Wherstead NDP 2018 – 2037 (NB: This is a large, 13Mb file)
- A Consultation Statement (NB: This is a large, 21Mb file)
- A Basic Conditions Statement
- A Wherstead Design Guidelines & Codes (AECOM, Aug 2021)
- An Appraisal of Views in Wherstead
- A Landscape & Wildlife Evaluation Report (SWT, 2021)
- A Local List of Buildings & Structures Appraisal
- Copies of the SEA and HRA Screening Reports and Determination Notices (see under Previous Stages section below)
An assessment on how this NDP meets the basic conditions will be carried out by the Independent Examiner. Our initial check confirmed that the relevant requirements have been met at this stage. View the Regulation 15 Checklist.
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the independent examiner and, with the exception of personal contact details, be published on this website.
- Read the Reg 16 Consultation responses
- Read the Parish Councils response
SEA & HRA Screening and Determination (Sept 2022)
Initial screening of the Wherstead NDP took place in late 2021. The draft NDP underwent further screening in June 2022 to determine whether a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and or a Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) were needed. Both were 'screened-out'.
The relevant reports and determination notices are published below:
- Read the Wherstead NDP SEA Screening Report (LUC, June 2022)
- Read the Wherstead NDP SEA Determination Notice (Sept 2022)
- Read the Wherstead NDP HRA Screening Report (LUC, July 2022)
- Read the Wherstead DNP HRA Determination Notice (Sept 2022)
Reg 14 Pre-submission Consultation (9 Oct to 22 Nov 2021)
Pre-submission consultation on the draft Wherstead NDP ended on 22 November 2021.
Please visit the parish council's website for more information.