Lawshall Neighbourhood Plan
The Lawshall Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) was 'made' (adopted) by Babergh District Council in October 2017. It covers the period 2016 - 2036.
The NDP is now being reviewed (modified) by the parish council so that it can continue to help guide and shape development in the parish. The Lawshall NDP Review will cover the plan period 2021 - 2037.
The process for modifying a NDP is set out in the relevant regulations. The nature of the modifications will determine how much of the process needs to be repeated.
Lawshall NDP Review 2021 - 2037
Reg 17 Examination (start date tbc)
Babergh District Council have appointed Ann Skippers BSc (Hons) MRTPI FHEA FRSA AoU to carry out an independent examination of this NDP Review.
Confirmation that the examination has started will be published in due course.
Focused consultation: General conformity with basic conditions (Mon 27 Nov to Mon 11 Dec 2023)
Following publication of the new NPPF (in September) and our recent adoption of the Joint Local Plan Part 1, we are carrying out a focused two-week consultation exercise on whether or not these two events have any implications for the Lawshall NP Review with regard to it meeting two of the basic condition tests.
Further details, including how to respond, are set out in the letter below. The consultation period ends at 4:00pm on Monday 11 December 2023.
Reg 17(e)(ii) Statement
The NDP regulations required the relevant local planning authority to submit a statement to the examiner that sets out their assessment of the nature of the modifications being made to the NDP.
• Read our Reg 17(e)(ii) Statement on the Lawshall NDP Review
Reg 16 Submission consultation (2 Aug to 15 Sept 2023)
The submission draft Lawshall NP Review was published for public consultation between 2 August and 15 September 2023.
The Parish Council (the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents.
- A Map identifying the NDP Area
- The submission draft Lawshall NP Review 2021-2037
- A Consultation Statement
- A Basic Conditions Statement. This includes the required statement which sets out what modifications have been made to the 2017 Plan and the Parish Councils' opinion that these changes will require examination but would not require a local referendum.
- Copies of the SEA and HRA Screening Reports and Determination Notices (see under Previous Stages section below)
- A Lawshall Character Assessment (2023)
- A Design Guidance & Codes document
- An Assessment of Important Views
- A Local Green Spaces Assessment
- A Housing Needs Assessment (AECOM, Apr 2023)
An assessment on how this NDP meets the basic conditions will be undertaken by an Independent Examiner. Our initial check suggested that the relevant requirements had been met at this stage. View the Regulation 15 Checklist.
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the examiner and, with the exception of personal details, be published on this website.
Reg 15 Submission (late June 2023)
The Lawshall NDP Review was submitted to Babergh District Council on 23 June 2023.
SEA/HRA screening and determination (Jan 2023)
The pre-submission draft Lawshall NDP Review document was screened to decide whether a strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and or a habitats regulations assessment (HRA) were needed. Both were 'screened-out'. The relevant reports and determination notices are published below:
- Read the Lawshall NP Review SEA screening opinion (LUC. Nov 2022)
- Read the Lawshall NP Review SEA determination notice (Jan 2023)
- Read the Lawshall NP Review HRA screening report (LUC, Nov 2022)
- Read the Lawshall NP Review HRA determination notice (Jan 2023)
Reg 14 Pre-submission consultation (15 Oct to 30 Nov 2022)
Pre-submission consultation on the Lawshall NDP Review document ended on 30 November 2022.
Please visit the parish council website for more information.
The adopted Lawshall NDP 2016 - 2036
Formal Adoption (24 Oct 2017)
At its Full Council meeting on 24 October 2017, Babergh District Council resolved to 'make' (adopt) the Lawshall NDP following a majority 'yes' vote by local residents.
The plan, which covers the period to 2036, now forms part of the development plan framework for the district and will be used to determine planning applications in the parish unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted Lawshall NDP 2016 - 2036
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- See the updated Character Assessment (Autumn 2017)
- View the Lawshall NDP Area Map
Reg 18 Local Referendum (19 Oct 2017)
Reg 17 Independent Examination (Aug 2017)
- Read the Examiners Final Report (23 Aug 2017)
- See the examination correspondence document (May 2017)
- See the HRA Screening Assessment & Consultation Reponses (Jun - Aug 2017)
Reg 16 Submission Consultation (13 Feb - 31 Mar 2017)
- See the submission draft Lawshall NDP (Jan 2017)
- See the Lawshall Character Assessment (Superseded by the update published in 2017)
- See the Consultation Statement (Jan 2017)
- See the Basic Conditions Statement (Jan 2017)
- Read the SEA Screening Report (Dec 2016)
- Read the Consultation Responses
Reg 14 Pre-submission Consultation (30 Oct - 11 Dec 2016)
- Carried out by the parish council