Lavenham Neighbourhood Plan
The Lavenham Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) was 'made' (adopted) by Babergh District Council in September 2016. It covers the plan period 2016 - 2031.
The NDP is now being updated by the parish council so that it can continue to help guide and shape development in the parish. Lavenham Neighbourhood Plan 2 (LNP2) will cover the plan period 2023 - 2037.
The process for modifying a NDP is set out in the relevant regulations. The nature of the modifications will determine how much of the process needs to be repeated.
Lavenham Neighbourhood Plan 2
Reg 17 Examination (commenced 23 Nov 2023)
Babergh District Council have appointed Janet Cheesley BA (Hons) DipTP MRTPI to carry out an independent examination of LNP2. The examination has begun and updates will be published in the correspondence document below and/or on this webpage as appropriate.
Focused consultation: General conformity with basic conditions (Mon 27 Nov to Mon 11 Dec 2023)
Following publication of the new NPPF (in September) and our recent adoption of the Joint Local Plan Part 1, we are carrying out a focused two-week consultation exercise on whether or not these two events have any implications for LNP2 with regard to it meeting two of the basic condition tests.
Further details, including how to respond, are set out in the letter below. The consultation period ends at 4:00pm on Monday 11 December 2023.
Reg 17(e)(ii) Statement
The NDP regulations required the relevant local planning authority to submit a statement to the examiner that sets out their assessment of the nature of the modifications being made to the NDP.
Reg 16 Submission consultation (ended 18 August 2023)
The submission draft LNP2 was published for public consultation between 3 July and 18 August 2023.
The Parish Council (the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents. (Please note that some of these are larges files).
- A Map identifying the NDP Area
- The submission draft Lavenham NP2 (2023 – 2037)
- A Consultation Statement
- A Basic Conditions Statement
- A Modification Statement (Summarises the modifications and sets out the Parish Councils opinion on whether or not these will require LNP2 to go back to a referendum)
- Copies of the SEA and HRA Screening Reports and Determination Notices (see under Previous Stages section below)
- A LNP2 Design Guide
- An updated Landscape Character & Sensitivity Assessment (2023)
- An Assessment of Local Green Space & other Open Spaces in Lavenham
- A set of Hedgerow & Field Boundary Maps (linked to Appendix 6 in LNP2)
- A Note to Parish Councillors on the Maximum Size of Residential Schemes (Apr 2023)
- A Note on House Prices in Lavenham (year to Sept 2022)
- An Estate Agents Survey (early 2022)
An assessment on how LNP2 meets the basic conditions will be undertaken by an Independent Examiner (see above). Our initial checks suggested that the relevant requirements have been met at this stage. View the Regulation 15 Checklist.
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the examiner and, with the exception of personal details, be published on this website.
Reg 15 Submission (May 2023)
LNP2 was formally submitted to Babergh District Council on 4 May 2023.
SEA/HRA screening and determination (Feb2023)
A draft copy of LNP2 was screened to determine whether a strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and or a habitats regulations assessment (HRA) were needed. Both were 'screened-out'. The relevant reports and determination notices are published below:
- Read the LNP2 SEA screening opinion (LUC, Oct 2022)
- Read the LNP2 SEA determination notice (Feb 2023)
- Read the LNP2 HRA screening report (LUC, Oct 2022)
- Read the LNP2 HRA determination notice (Feb 2023)
Reg 14 Pre-submission consultation (8 Dec 2022 to 1 Feb 2023)
Pre-submission consultation on LNP2 ended on 1 February 2023.
Please visit the parish council's website for more information.
The adopted Lavenham NDP 2016 - 2031
Formal adoption (20 Sept 2016)
At its Full Council meeting on 20 September 2016, Babergh District Council resolved to adopt ('make') the Lavenham NDP following a majority 'yes' vote by local residents.
The Plan, which covers the period up to 2031, now forms part of the development plan framework for the district and will be used in the determination of planning applications in the parish unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted Lavenham NDP 2016 - 2031
- See the Evidence Baseline 1 & 2
- See Appendix 3 - Views Assessment
- Read the Landscape Character Assessment
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- View the Lavenham NDP area map
Reg 18 Local referendum (Sept 2016)
Reg 17 Independent examination (April 2016)
Reg 16 Submission consultation (Jan - Feb 2016)
- See the submission draft Lavenham NDP (Dec 2015)
- See the Consultation Statement
- See the Basic Conditions statement
- See the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) screening report