Succession, Assignment & Tenancy Changes

A tenancy agreement is an important legal contract between our tenant(s) and the Council. It contains the conditions of tenancy.

If your circumstances change you can make a request to change your tenancy.

This webpage provides information about what changes can be made.

Add a joint tenant

You may wish to share the responsibility of your tenancy with someone who lives with you.

Read our 'Tenancy changes - adding a joint tenant' leaflet 

Apply for a joint tenancy

If you meet the applicable criteria, please complete our online form.

Apply for a joint tenancy

Remove a name from a tenancy

This will be allowed if both tenants are in agreement. 

Read our 'Tenancy changes - removing a name from a joint tenancy' leaflet

Tenancy changes - removing a name from a joint tenancy' leaflet additional notes

  • This leaflet provides details about removing a name from a tenancy.
  • Our telephone number is now 0300 123 4000
  • Please note it is always advisable to seek independent legal advice.

Remove a name from a joint tenancy online

Transfer your tenancy (by assignment)

If you are looking to move, you can apply to assign (transfer) your tenancy. This needs to be to a qualifying person who has lived with you for at least one year.

Read our 'Tenancy changes - transferring your tenancy to another person (by assignment)' leaflet 

This leaflet (Tenancy changes - transferring your tenancy to another person (by assignment)) provides details about assigning a tenancy.

Apply to assign your tenancy

To apply, you need to fill out our online form.

Assign your tenancy 

Please note, the assignee/prospective tenant must register with the housing allocation scheme Gateway to Homechoice. Apply on our Gateway to HomeChoice section

Tell us about the death of a tenant

If a tenant dies and leaves someone else living in the home, they may be able to take over the tenancy. This is known as a succession.

A secure periodic tenancy can only be transferred once. No further statutory successions can be claimed by any other occupier. Please refer to the tenancy agreement for further information:

If you wish to notify us of a tenant's death and apply for succession, please complete our online form. 

Notifying us of a death

If a tenant dies and there is no other person living in the property, you will need to give notice to end the tenancy

Other tenancy changes

If you wish to make any other changes, you will need to put your request in writing.

Please email Tenancy Management with your request. Make sure to include any supporting documents, such as a marriage certificate, deed poll or birth certificate. 

We may contact you to request further information.

Once we have processed your application, we will let you know of the outcome in writing.