Sproughton Neighbourhood Plan
The Sproughton Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) has been prepared by the Parish Council and local community and will be used to help guide and shape future development in the parish.
Reg 20 Formal adoption (28 November 2023)
In an ‘out of meeting’ decision published on Tuesday 28 November 2023 Babergh District Council agreed to adopt ('make') the Sproughton NDP.
This NDP, which covers the plan period to 2037, now forms part of the development plan and will be used to help determine planning applications in the parish unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted version of Sproughton NDP
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- See the 'out of meeting' request
This NDP is supported by a comprehensive list of background documents. These include a Design Guide, and separate assessments that cover Housing Need, Local Green Spaces, and Sites. There is also an Appraisal of Non-designated Heritage Assets, and various other landscape studies and third-party documents.
Local Referendum (21 November 2023)
A local referendum on the Sproughton NDP was held on Tuesday 21 November 2023.
The question asked of those entitled to vote was:
Reg 18 Exam Report Decision Statement (16 August 2023)
New procedures, agreed in September 2021, mean that a NDP can now be advance to a referendum without Cabinet approval where there is no objection to implementing the Examiner's recommendations. That applies in this case, and the decision is confirmed through publication of the following statement:
Reg 17 Independent Examination (Final Report dated 24 July 2023)
Babergh District Council appointed Ann Skippers BSc (Hons) MRTPI FHEA FRSA AoU to carry out an independent examination of the Sproughton NDP. The examination was conducted through written correspondence.
On Monday 24 July 2023, the Examiner issued her final report. It recommended that, subject to modification, this NDP meets the basic conditions and that it should proceed to a local referendum.
Planning Practice Guidance also provides advice on the weight to be attached to a post-examination plan.
- The Examination Correspondence document
- The updated Appraisal of Non-designated Heritage Assets (Sept 2022)
- The Special Character Area Appraisal (Sept 2023)
Reg 16 Submission consultation (12 Dec 2022 to 3 Feb 2023)
The submission draft Sproughton NDP was made available for public consultation between 12 December 2022 and 3 February 2023. The Parish Council (as the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents:
- A Map identifying the NDP Area
- The submission draft Sproughton NDP 2018 – 2037
- A Consultation Statement
- A Basic Conditions Statement
- Copies of the SEA and HRA Screening Reports and Determination Notices (see further below)
- A comprehensive list of supporting documents (now published above with the adopted NDP)
An assessment on how this NDP meets the basic conditions will be undertaken by an Independent Examiner. Our initial check suggests that the relevant requirements had been met at this stage. View the Regulation 15 Checklist.
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the independent examiner and, with the exception of personal contact details, be published on this website.
SEA/HRA Screening and Determination (Sept 2022)
Initial screening of this NDP took place in late 2021 to decide whether a strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and/or a habitats regulations assessment (HRA) were needed. A post-Reg 14 version of the NDP went through further screening in Summer 2022, which concluded that an SEA and HRA were not needed.
The relevant reports and determination notices are published below:
- Read the Sproughton NDP SEA screening report (LUC, June 2022)
- Read the Sproughton NDP SEA determination notice (Sept 2022)
- Read the Sproughton NDP HRA screening report (LUC, June 2022)
- Read the Sproughton NDP HRA determination notice (Sept 2022)