Keeping dangerous wild animals

To protect the safety of the animal and the public, a licence is required to keep a dangerous wild animal. This is specified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) (No.2) Order 2007 (

In order to issue a licence, an Officer will carry out an inspection to determine its welfare needs can be met along with a suitably qualified vet. The cost of this inspection will be met by the applicant. In addition, this vet’s inspection his necessary before any such licence can be renewed.

Who can apply for a licence?

Any person aged 18 years or older - and who is not disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal - can apply.

The applicant must also hold adequate public liability insurance.

Is planning permission required?

We recommend that you discuss your proposals with our Planning team to decide whether a planning application is needed.

How do I apply for a licence?

You can apply and pay for a licence by completing our application form:

Apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals (PDF format)

Apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals (Microsoft Word format)

When you have finished, please return the completed application form by email

How much does a licence cost?

A fee is payable. Please read our current fees and charges

How long does a licence last?

A licence is valid for two years from the date it is granted.

Licence conditions

Read our dangerous wild animals licence conditions

What can I do if my licence application is refused?

If your application is refused, you can apply to the magistrates' court.

Public Registers