If you are at risk of losing your home please contact us as soon as possible for advice and assistance on 0300 123 4 000, option 3, or complete our online form and someone will contact you within two working days.

If you are struggling to afford your housing costs there is support available to help you.

If you are falling behind with your rent or mortgage payments, it is important to take action as quickly as possible to prevent the situation from getting worse. Contact your landlord or mortgage lender as soon as possible to explain your situation and agree a repayment plan. Ensure any payments are affordable for you, do not offer to pay more than you can realistically afford.

If you are in rented accommodation

If you rent your home and have fallen behind with payments there is further advice for renters in the pages below to help you:

If you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Element, and are struggling to afford your rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

If you are not eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment or have had your application declined, you may still be able to get help with your rent through our Household Support Fund.

If you own your home

If your home is on a mortgage and you are in debt with your lender, there is advice available on the following pages:

If you are on a low income you may be able to get a loan from the Department of Work and Pensions to help with the cost of mortgage interest payments, called Support for Mortgage Interest. It is important to get advice to check whether Support for Mortgage Interest is the right option for you, the Citizens Advice website has lots of information on things to consider before applying.

Managing your money

For information on ways to increase your income, how to help your money go further and where to get further advice please visit our Boost your income webpages.

If your home is at risk

If your landlord or lender has asked you to leave your home, contact our Housing Solutions team straight away to make a homelessness application and get advice.

If your landlord has not asked you to leave, but your home is unaffordable despite taking the steps above, you can still contact us for advice and assistance.