When district and parish councillors are elected to office, they must sign up to the code of conduct that their authority has adopted. We adopted the Local Government Association Model Code of Conduct in March 2022.

Read our Members Code of Conduct

If you believe that a councillor has breached our code of conduct, you can make a complaint about them to our Monitoring Officer. You will need to be clear about which section(s) of the code of conduct you think the councillor has breached - alongside any appropriate evidence.

The code of conduct only applies to a councillor whilst they are acting in their role as a councillor. 

Make a complaint about a Councillor

The Monitoring Officer will follow a strict process when they investigate a complaint. You can learn more about what happens when you make a complaint, via our complaints procedure:

Read our code of conduct complaints procedure

If you would like any informal advice before you submit a complaint, please contact our Interim Monitoring Officer, Janice Robinson, on 01473 296472.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

If you are unhappy with how your complaint was handled, you can get in touch with the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

The Monitoring Officer's decision is final. Therefore, there is no right of appeal against the outcome of your complaint. However, the Ombudsman can consider if there was any fault in the way that the Monitoring Officer - or Standards Committee - handled the complaint. They will look to do this in line with our complaints handling procedure.

Contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman