Request a repair
We aim to provide you with a safe and comfortable home. Please be aware that some minor repairs are your responsibility. To find out more please read our repair responsibilities page here.
We have also produced some information about caring for your home, which can be accessed here.
During normal working hours (Mon, Weds-Fri, 9am-5pm, Tuesday we open at the slightly later time of 10am), emergency repairs should be reported by calling 0300 123 4000 option 3.
Outside normal working hours (after 5pm during the week, or at weekends), emergency repairs should be reported by calling 0808 168 7794.
When you contact us, you will need to provide:
- Your address (or the address of the tenant, if you are reporting on their behalf) and contact phone number
- Details of the problem
- Dates and times when convenient for us to call
We have an in-house team of multi-skilled operatives, who travel in Babergh and Mid-Suffolk branded vans. Our friendly professional team wear uniform and carry ID badges. We do sub-contract out some work, such as double glazing and gas installations. The contractors that work on our behalf also wear ID badges and work to the same professional standards.
We will, where possible, try to arrange a suitable date and time with you. This will depend on the repair priority, and our availability. At times, this may mean you need to be flexible, as we must have an adult present during the call out. We do not book appointments for any work to the outside of your home or communal areas. This is because you do not need to be home for us to carry these works out for you.
It is important that you allow us access as arranged, so that we can complete the work required.
If you are not at home, your right to repair no longer applies. We will leave a calling card and try to reschedule the repair with you.
After two no access attempts, we will close your job down. You will then need to contact us to report the repair again.
Please let us know if at any time you are unhappy with the service, work carried out, or you have not heard from us when expecting to. If you organise your repair to be fixed, we are not responsible to pay for the work. It is therefore important you give us the chance to put this right for you.
When you report a repair to us, we will advise you of the priority. This is so you know when you can expect the repair to be attended by. Our repair priorities are listed below and are in line with the Right to Repair Legislation.
If you prefer, we can book your appointment outside of these time frames. Just let us know.
We will attend within 24 hours:
- Total loss of electric power
- Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting
- Total loss of water supply
- Total or partial loss of gas supply
- Blocked flue to open fire or boiler
- Heating or hot water not working between 31 October and 1 May
- Blocked/leaking foul drain, soil stack or toilet
- Toilet not flushing (if there is only one toilet in the property)
- Leak from a water pipe, tank or cistern
- Insecure external window, door or lock
- Major roof leak that is unable to be contained
- Faulty smoke alarms, if they are council-installed
We will attend within 3 to 7 working days:
- Emergency repairs that we have already made safe
- Partial loss of electric power
- Partial loss of water supply
- Heating or hot water not working between 1 May and 31 October
- Blocked sink, bath or basin
- Tap or stop valve that cannot be turned
- Loose or detached banister or hand rail
- Rotten timber flooring or stair tread
- Leaking roof that is containable
- Door entry phone not working
- Broken lifts
- Mechanical extractor fan not working
We will aim to attend all other repairs within 20 working days, however, we are experiencing unprecedented delays to our repairs service due to staff shortages and a backlog of repair requests after the pandemic We are doing everything we can to get through the repair requests and are prioritising emergency and urgent jobs. If we are not able to schedule your repair when you report it, we will phone you to book it in at the earliest opportunity. We will offer you either a morning appointment (8am to 1pm) or an afternoon appointment (1pm to 4pm). We thank you for your understanding and appreciate your patience.
Long-term planned maintenance work
We plan to do work that doesn't fit into the other categories as part of long-term programmes, as this is the most efficient way of working. Examples include:
- Servicing gas central heating
- Painting the outside of your home
- Repairing fencing
- Replacing kitchen units and bathrooms
- Fitting plastic windows
- Roofing work