click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply hd


report hd


pay hd


Home > The Council > Your Right to Information > Data Protection Act

Data Protection Act

What is the Data Protection Act 1998?

It is a law that came into force at the end of October 1998. It was introduced to protect personal data,  data that can be used to identify a living individual.

How does it protect my personal data?

The Act sets rules and conditions that all users of personal information must obey. The Act also gives you certain rights that we must respect when obtaining and using information about you.

Why does the Council need to keep personal information?

Personal data is collected and held so we can provide you with the services you require, eg collection of council tax and rent, delivering housing benefit, maintaining a record of the services provided.

What are my rights?

  • To ask if we hold personal information about you and what we use it for
  • To be given a copy of the information held
  • To be given details about what the information is held for, including the use any partner organisation might have for the information
  • To be compensated for any damage or distress you have directly suffered, should it be caused by our failure to comply with the requirements of the Act
  • To ask for incorrect data to be corrected
  • To ask us not to use personal information about you for direct marketing, or if it is likely to cause damage or distress
  • To ask us not to make decisions about you based on the automatic processing of the data

Do we need your consent to use personal information about you?

We only need your consent if we want to use your information for a purpose that is not a service we have to provide by law. All application forms and requests for your information explain why we need the information and what it might be used for.

How do I ask to see information held about me?

Subject access requests must be in writing; we suggest you download our request form to ensure that we have all the details needed to process your request. There is a fee of £10 for each request. The completed form should be sent to the address below, together with your payment and evidence confirming your identity. The Council must respond within 40 days of receiving your correctly completed application.

Data Subject Access Request form

What do I do if the data is incorrect?

If you think your personal data is inaccurate or out of date you can write to us explaining why and ask us to correct your data.

What should I do if I think I have not been given all the information about me?

If you think you have not been given all the information we hold about you contact us and ask for the records to be checked again.

Further information and leaflets are available from:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Information Commissioner’s Office website

Telephone: 01625 545700